Monday, April 18, 2016

Package - D-Week Lecture




     I have heard that if you walk long enough you will undoubtedly find something to trip on and this week's assignment was a shin breaker. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time running around campus and shooting b-roll and being able to attend many different types of events is what makes reporting awesome. However, the gods of electronics had it in for during the last week and taught me some valuable lessons along the way.
    I began the week shooting footage from the big mascot reveal on Monday and right off the bat I discovered how difficult it can be to run a "one man band." It is easy to focus on a subject when it isn't the invisible man or just a backpack propped up in your place. I wasn't happy with dozens of my takes for being too out of focus and all I kept thinking was there has to be any easy way out of this b.s. I ended up with some decent footage though and enjoyed finding the right locations for my shots, but oh how much I prefer just being behind the camera. It has been a couple decades since I have been on t.v. and I think it may be a couple decades more.In the end, I ended up scrapping most of the first day and found a much more interesting subject on Wednesday.
   I thought it would be fun to attempt using the Youtube video editor to complete this project but found that it was user unfriendly and took an incredible amount of time to upload videos before you could attempt to use its limited services.  I was grateful to scratch something together but wasn't completely happy with the result. That is except for teaching me everything I want to do right the next time I attempt editing a clip. For example, not acting like an idiot trying to download an assortment of apps and just use Adobe Premier from the start. I felt like I was trying to dig a mile-long trench with a plastic spoon. It pays to have the right equipment from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment